Saturday, March 5, 2011

'X-Men: First Class' Update 03.05.11

New posters, images, and interviews with the cast...


We keep seeing more news from the upcoming X-Men: First Class, which is a very good thing in my opinion. Most minds were made up about this movie once it was announced, and I think the studio is trying their best to change perceptions and get people excited about it.


Two new character posters have been released, and they look pretty cool.


/Film reports:


After some initial worry over the first leaked image from X-Men: First Class, 20th Century Fox has done a masterful job of crisis management. Director Matthew Vaughncalled Peter at his home to discuss the film and help us premiere some exclusive images and the first trailer got mostly rave reviews. Now, the first two pieces of print media have leaked thanks to a French website called Filmosphere and they look pretty bad ass. Check out the character posters for Erik, aka Magneto, played by Michael Fassbender and Charles, aka Professor X, played by James McAvoy.


Splashpage has a set of interviews with two of the stunners from XM:FC:


Jennifer Lawrence (Raven Darkholme/Mystique) discussed the challenges of becoming Mystique, with her scaly blue skin and utter lack of clothing.

"I think I psyched myself out about [wearing body paint]," she told Parade Magazine. "But then on the actual day, the only thing you're worried about is sitting on things and not rubbing your scales off. It mostly becomes a maintenance problem and the last thing you think about is, 'Oh right, I'm virtually naked.'"
The actress also spoke a bit about how she prepared herself physically for the performance, and how for her it was very much wrapped up in issues surrounding what is an "acceptable" body image in our culture.
"When I got the part [of Mystique] and knew I had to be naked, I didn't want to look like a pre-pubescent 13-year old boy," she said. "I wanted to look like a woman so I knew I wanted to maintain my curves," she said.
"I'm so sick of seeing these skinny little women and thinking I'm supposed to look like that and thinking young girls think they should also look like that. I worked out for two hours a day for seven days a week. I thought when I started doing it, 'Oh my god, I'm going to be so skinny.' But I ended up bulking up a little bit," she continued. "I was basically on the Hugh Jackman-Wolverine diet and doing pull-ups. As soon as I stopped, I think I lost like 5 pounds in 4 days. I think when I see the movie I'm going to look like a freaking marine or something."
One of the film's other female leads, January Jones (Emma Frost) spoke about how important for her it was to take the source material seriously in an interview with Monsters and Critics.
"I was kind of intimidated by the idea, wanting to not disappoint everyone's idea of what Emma Frost should be," she said. "So I took it on very seriously, in my research and collaborating with the costume and the hair and make-up. I'm really excited to see what they think. I feel very proud of it and some of the stuff that Matthew Vaughn's shown the cast looks really amazing."
McAvoy tells Splashpage a little about his version of Xavier:
McAvoy spoke a little bit about the duo's dynamic in a recent interview, calling it a "love story" that finds common ground with the classic Western, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."
"This is the first time in their lives they’ve met someone who is an equal of sorts, someone who understands them and can connect and push them too," he said during a chat with Hero Complex. "Especially Charles, he’s fascinated with Erik and his potential. For Erik, Charles is the first person he’s trusted to really tell about his past and the first person to understand the horrible things he’s been through."
What fans of the franchise will likely find even more enjoyable is this younger Xavier, who's a much different person than the wisdom-spouting, seemingly all-knowing X-Men leader he becomes.
"This is a prequel, so I’m the same character, just younger, but the challenge for me — and for Michael — is to show the same person in a different place in their life, to show someone before they’re this bad guy, before they’re this saint," McAvoy explained. "Charles wasn’t always a … monk, this selfless, sexless monk that he becomes."
"Charles is caught up in himself. He enjoys success and is proud, and he’s not the selfless person that he becomes," the actor continued. "You look at the relationship with Raven – who becomes Mystique – and you examine that relationship and the way he treats her like a living experiment."
"She’s an assistant to him and he cares for her, but there’s his ego and condescending big-brother attitude as well," he added. "You see it in the way he treats the others. In the 'later' movies, he’s exorcised that from his personality. For me, trying to keep that ego as an underpinning of the character is important."
I have to admit that my thinking on this movie may have changed. What I worried about was another mutant filled massacre like X-Men: The Last Stand, but it looks like we might be getting a great character piece detailing the origins of these characters. It's refreshing to see and I really hope I'm not rushing my judgement here. Please don't disappoint.
X-Men: First Class hits theaters 06.03.2011

No comments:

Post a Comment