Friday, March 25, 2011

Nickelodeon's 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'

Yet another new TMNT series...


Generally I'm really excited when I hear news that one of my favorite cartoons is getting a revamp. I spent a good part of my childhood watching the 1987 series, which is generally considered by most fans of old cartoons as the pinnacle of awesomeness. Well, that's how I regard it, and if you don't then Tommy over here is gonna come back there and hit you in the head with a tack hammer.


Anyways, in 2003 another series came out on Fox and features an updated, edgy look to the turtles crew. I had just graduated high school so needless to say I didn't really keep up with my Saturday morning cartoons as I should have. But as I grew older I revisited a lot of the cartoons I missed, and was genuinely surprised.




The new Turtles series was slow to start, but as the series grew the characters, story, mythology, and basically everything about the series improved. Until the last 2 seasons, when the format completely shifted, but that's bound to happen. Regardless, I was impressed with the very adult theme of the show. And Turtles Forever kicked so much ass, I can't even talk about it.





So I was a little disappointed when I heard that a new series was in production with Nickelodeon, who now owned the rights to the series. Nothing wrong with Nickelodeon, but it pretty much guaranteed the series was going to take on a more kid friendly look at the series, much like the '87 version. 


Then we got our first look at the poster over at Comic Alliance:


The Wall Street Journal reports the upcoming CG animated series is set to begin in 2012 and quotes the show's executive producer Ciro Nieli as saying the Green Machines will have "more individual attributes" than in previous incarnations. Judging from Nickelodeon's official promo image, those attributes include the original TMNT toys' varied green hues, plus an assortment of athletic tape.

Okay, not bad, I guess. I do fear change, but there's not a whole lot changing but the animation style, I can deal. It's quite a statement to say the Turtles will have "more individual attributes", considering the last series had a pretty great grasp on what made each turtle tick. But we'll see how it plays out.



Then we got our first look at the "mutation in progress":



And... I don't really know what to say. Not a whole lot to go on, so I can't really judge yet. But I'm going to anyway.


I don't like it. Like I said, I generally fear change. The CG TMNT movie was pretty good, but I'm not sure that I want to see a full series done that way. Maybe it will grow on me, maybe it will have amazing stories that will enthrall viewers, young and old. 


Or not. I guess we'll see in 2012. Also, something else to worry about. Michael Bay has plans to be a part of the next movie adaptation. Yea, that means explosions.


What do you think, News Team? Tired of seeing the same franchise repeated over and over again, or are you generally looking forward to another new take on our beloved Turtles?


Sound off in the comments section below!



3 comments:

  1. This could go either way, but I still feel obligated to at least start off watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, me 2, as always. I just really don't want to be disappointed again. Remember 'Turtles: The Next Mutation'? Yea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Arnold said in Predator - "Trying to forget it." lol

    ReplyDelete