Thursday, March 17, 2011

Aronofsky Leaves 'The Wolverine'

So does all hope for a good movie...

When it was announced that Darren Aronofsky was offered the directing gig on The Wolverine, I think it's fair to say fans rejoiced. Aronofsky brought us The Wrestler, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, and many others. I was truly excited to see what his own take on the Canucklehead would be.


Unfortunately it has now been announced that Aronofsky has parted ways with this project, citing time away from home being the deciding factor. Splashpage reports:

Aronofsky and Fox issued a joint statement, which pretty much lays out everything you need to know about his exit from the project.
Here's what the departing director had to say:
As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of 'The Wolverine' would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again.
And Fox's statement:
While we are of course disappointed that Darren can’t do 'The Wolverine,' we also understand and respect his reasons. Having done both 'The Wrestler' and 'Black Swan' with Darren, we know he is an extraordinary talent and we look forward to working with him on other projects in the future. Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making 'The Wolverine.' We will regroup and move forward aggressively.

An unfortunate turn of events for many fans out there who were really hoping to get a great Wolverine movie, for once. Just one, one really good one... That's all I need to see. Hopefully the script is as good as they say, and I'm sure we'll hear about Aronofsky's replacement in the coming weeks.


2 comments: