Wednesday, March 30, 2011

'X-Men: First Class' Update 03.30.11

New interviews, new photos, new posters,this is a big update...


I'm warning you now, this is a long update. With the release of X-Men: First Class on the horizon, the news is hitting us fast, and I for one am actually getting kind of excited to see this one.


But enough from me, let's get started with the update. First we'll go through some various interviews with the cast. Splashpage has a couple of interviews with Zoe Kravitz, who is playing Angel Salvatore. First she talks about the demands of playing Angel:

"It was impersonal in so many ways. My character flies and I'll be wearing a harness and I'd be wearing wires all the time," she revealed in an interview with The Independent. "Then I'd have to stand in strange ways, pretending there are not wires and pretending that I'm flying and floating, like it's the most normal thing in the world."

"Also, Matthew Vaughn cares about the drama, it's not like he's trying to make things explode all the time, so you want to look the other actors in the eye and connect and connect," she added. "But it's kind of hard when all this other crazy stuff is going on."
Kravitz admits that she was initially hesitant about taking on an "X-Men" movie, and actually needed some convincing.
She said, "When it comes to stuff like 'X-Men,' I just didn't think that I would get that part. I just think I auditioned because people were auditioning and my agent was like, 'Please go', and had to talk me into going."
In the second interview she discusses her XM:FC training regimen:
“I needed a really strong core because I do a lot of action sequences that are filmed using wires, which mean hanging from a harness for hours,” she said in an interview with Company Magazine (via Music Rooms).
The 22-year-old thespian, who's the daughter of singer Lenny Kravitz, said she took up a routine of exercising several times a week. She also altered what she was eating, opting for more vegetables and lean protein. She additionally drank shakes — but not the kind you get at McDonald’s. These health shakes were more along the lines of organic vegetables, anti-oxidants and the like.
Though it sounds like a lot of hard work and discipline, Kravitz insisted she enjoyed it.
“It was fun, they got me in the best shape I’ve been in – super-toned and muscular but not too skinny – just like a superhero!" she said.
Edi Gathegi, who plays Darwin, explains his character's powers over at Splashpage:
For actor Edi Gathegi, playing Darwin in the upcoming “X-Men: First Class” movie is like fulfilling a childhood dream. He’s been a fan of the franchise since he was a boy.
In an interview with the Italian website Comicus, he was happy to talk about his character and his love for all things “X-Men.”
“I was a major X-Men fan as a youth,” he revealed. “I'd wake up every Saturday morning with my bowl of cereal glued to the tv screen enjoying my favorite comic brought to life as a cartoon.”

He described his character for people less familiar with Darwin, talking about the mutant’s skill at "reactive adaptation."
“If I fall from a building my bones turn to rubber," he explained. "Or if the lights go out I have perfect vision in the pitch black. Or if I happen to get catapulted into outer space, my body no longer requires oxygen. That sort of thing. And the list is as extensive as the need to survive.”
Impressive as that might sound, Gathegi still insists Darwin is “more or less a regular guy.” And why is that? Well, he gets to avoid all the makeup that other characters like Mystique have to go through.
“[H]e isn't painted blue or anything,” the actor said. “So visual effects are specifically relegated to my use of powers not for my overall look. Makeup was virtually non-existent.”
Despite gushing about Darwin and “X-Men,” he knew when to keep his mouth shut about spoilers. When pressed about any differences between the movie Darwin and the Darwin of the comic books, he replied, “You’ll just have to wait and see.”
SuperHeroHype has Oliver Platt/ Man in Black, Rose Byrne/ Moira Mactaggert, and Nicholas Hoult/ Hank McCoy each answered fan questions:
Oliver Platt (Man in Black)

Aimee - Here's the question we all want to know. Who exactly is the Man in Black?
The Man In Black runs a super secret division of the CIA devoted to investigating the application of mental telepathy and paranormal power in military defense. He has long been a laughing stock of the Agency because of this. His department is known as 'Division X'.

Ali - How does your character fit into the mutant universe?
When Charles and Mystique become ensnared with the Agency, the Man in Black diverts them to his division with a deft bureaucratic sleight of hand. Erik soon joins them and The X-Men flourish under MIB's protection.

Gregory - Were you a fan of the X-Men before making this movie?
I became a fan of X-Men through the movies.

Joshua - If you had a mutant power what would it be and why?
If I had a mutant power it would be to plant ideas in powerful people's minds.

Tirzah - What was your favorite part of making this movie?
The best part of the movie was working with the cast; McAvoy, Fassbender, Jenn, Rose. Working with John Dykstra, one of the seminal figures of modern special effects. Hanging with my old buddy K Bacon in London even though we didn't get to work together.

Denis - Are you a fan of comics or of comic-based movies? If so, which ones?
Grew up with Superman, Batman, Green Hornet, Asterix (yes he's a superhero!!). Love the new Batman and Iron Man flicks.


Rose Byrne (Dr. Moira MacTaggert)

ManFromRoomX - In the comics Moira MacTaggert has been the love interest of both Charles Xavier and Sean Cassidy (Banshee) Are these relationships explored in the script?
We explore the relationship of Moira and Charles but not with Banshee - at least not yet!

Nick - Moira didn't have the accent in Last Stand, so I can only assume she won't be having it in First Class?
No, Matthew Vaughn was adamant she be American - despite James McAvoy's slight disappointment as he is Scottish.

Anonymous - Will we get a chance to see Muir Island?
Sadly no, not in this installment.

Amy - Were you a little jealous that your character is the only one of the main characters without superpowers?
I was not when we were shooting as I didn't have to get picked up at 2:30am like Jennifer Lawrence. But I am sure I will suffer post-traumatic mutant envy when I see Angel being able to fly.

Ashton - What type of preparation and research did you do to prepare for your role as Dr. MacTaggert?
I researched the Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis and the CIA in 1962 as this is when the film is set. Production organized a brilliant X-Men expert to come and talk to us when we wanted. He came with a folder 20 pounds heavy with every comic and known fact on Moira McTaggert collated so I devoured that as well.

Marcus - Are we going to see Moira really involved at Xavier's school? Perhaps as a teacher or creator of Cerebro?
We will see - I hope so. She truly devoted her entire life to the cause so it would only make sense.

Jason - Dr. MacTaggert is a unique, strong, yet powerless human in a world full of mutants. What was your favorite part about playing her?
Her fashion sense…kidding. It was great to play the role of a true female pioneer in a time when misogyny was alive and well and to play someone so devoted and passionate about the mutant community - a cause that stands as a great metaphor - that we can all co-exist peacefully and progressively.


Nicholas Hoult (Hank McCoy/Beast)

Anonymous - What drew you to the role of Hank McCoy/ Beast?
The fascinating part of the role for me was the chance to play Hank/Beast before and after his transformation. The combination of his intelligence and wit offset by his animalistic appearance was fun to play.

Anonymous - What did you think of the original Beast?
I thought Kelsey Grammer did a fantastic job when he portrayed Beast, his charm and eloquence was something I wanted to try and emulate. However, in First Class I play Hank younger before becoming a politician, when he is a scientist and still learning about himself and his abilities. So I didn't want to try and just play a younger Kelsey but also bring something new to the role.

Albert C. - Are you an X-Men fan and if so, did you have a lot of source material to go thru or did you make up your own version of Beast?
I am an X-Men fan, I grew up watching the cartoons and films. It was fantastic to have so much source material to draw from, I read lots of comics in the build up to filming to try and get the best sense of Hank.

Sean - Beast is my favorite comic book character. Did you feel any pressure to show his feral side, while keeping him as lovable as he is in the comics?
There is pressure when playing a character who is so iconic and loved by fans, so you have to approach it with respect. Hank is urbane whilst being slightly shy of his mutations in this story, but then later on once the transformation to Beast has taken place he should still becharming but have a feral edge.

Daniel - What type of preparation did you do for the role of Beast?
In preparation for the role I watched lots of Frasier and listened to people who spoke with a similar accent to Kelsey, my dialect coach and I worked on creating something towards Kelsey's dialect but without being an imitation. I also did lots of fitness training as being in the Beast costume and make up could be very tiring and tough physically.

Marcus - Will we get to see Beast in more of his iconic lab settings and sporting some Shakespearean quotes?
Yes, you get to see Hank in his element in the lab. Some of the genius inventions he creates are shown, and also some of the not so successful ones.

Tirzah - How long does it take to get your makeup on?
The make up took 4 hours to get on, during which time we would listen to music mostly, or if it was a very early call I sometimes fell asleep.

Ashton D. - Did they do any CGI on your hands and feet prior to Beast going blue to make him seem more ape-like as in the comics and shows?
Before the transformation Hank's feet are a CGI effect so I would wear a blue sock and then the larger ape like feet would be added in post production. I did wear shoes a few sizes larger so that in theory they would have fitted in.

Jason G. - Beast is a nasty combination of high intellect and brute strength. Which side is more evident in the movie, and which side do you relate to more?
You get to see both the brute strength and intellect of Beast in this film. If I had to choose which one I related to most it would have to be the intellect as I certainly don't have anywhere near the strength and speed he possesses. Although, the same could be said for the intellect...

And now a couple more interviews with Bryan Singer, producer of all things X-Men. First he answers some more questions on the Facebook page that was set up:

Q: (Erickson A) If you were a mutant what kind of power would u want to have and why?
Bryan Singer: I would like the power of Nightcrawler or Azazel; the ability to teleport anywhere.

Q: (Anthony C.) Who is your favorite x-men character and why?
Bryan Singer: Professor X because he is both powerful and vulnerable.

Q: (James S.) Was there a character from the old comics you would love to have seen in this movie that hasn't been in previous movies, and was not able to be put into this movie?
Bryan Singer: Quiksilver.

Q: (Anonymous) What made you choose Emma Frost to play a part in "X-Men: First Class"? Overall, what do you think of her character in the movie?
Bryan Singer: You can't have the Hellfire Club without Emma Frost. She is sexy and scary.

Q: (Filip E.) Does this movie fall in the category of prequel, reboot or bit of both? Nevertheless, I'm very open-minded for this movie! =)
Bryan Singer: Prequel



Q: (Andy O.) What are your plans for the X-Men franchise after First Class?
Bryan Singer: I am just focusing on this one at the moment.

Q: (Justin G.) Is there less pressure producing this film as opposed to directing it (like X-Men 1 and 2), or are the pressures just different - with different things expected from you?
Bryan Singer: I can absolutely say from my standpoint that there is less pressure. There is no position with more pressure than directing. Hats off to Matthew.

Q: (Jake S.) What was the deciding factor on changing the origin story of the X-Men instead of going with the comic book?
Bryan Singer: I felt that to earn the First Class title, it was important to go back to the formation of the X-Men and the beginnings of Xavier and Magneto's relationship.

Q: (Michael B.) What about this period in history intrigued you?
Bryan Singer: It is a time of socio-political upheaval in the world. The height of the cold war period. The birth of the civil rights movement. And the birth time of the X-Men comic book.

Q: (Amy M.) Was it a conscious decision by the team to pick and choose which parts of previous movies would be canon to this movie? (White Queen already appearing in other movies, etc.)
Bryan Singer: We did our best to maintain continuity with the other films. But as sometimes happens for the sake of telling the most compelling story possible, we made a few concessions. 

Over at GrizzlyBomb they have a few new images from Empire Magazine of the cast as well as some other news not covered here at the link. What follows is basically all new pics that have recently been released.


First a new pic of Lucas Till as Havok:



Jennifer Lawrence/ Mystique and Nicholas Hoult/ Beast chilling out:


And finally a couple more teaser posters have hit the web from SuperHeroHype:


And that pretty much wraps up this edition of Update, and it was a doozy. Feel free to talk about anything here in the comments section below!

X-Men: First Class hits theaters 06.03.11

2 comments:

  1. dr. who jackets

    Nice site , I appreciate your techniques I will be re visiting for further follow ups, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good results.

    If you know of any please share. Thank you!

    Here is my page: Psn Code Generator

    ReplyDelete